Rebecca Fortune is a Partner at Kimball, Tirey & St. John LLP, where she Co-Chairs the Litigation Practice Group inside the firm’s Business Real Estate Group. Ms. Fortune has extensive trial and litigation experience in the areas of civil, business and real estate litigation. She has tried twelve cases to verdict in federal and state courts in California and Colorado. Rebecca’s strong record of favorable outcomes is a direct result of her efficient and effective use of technology during discovery and trial, as well as her superior focus in all aspects of the litigation process.
Rebecca has helped corporations and their officers through business disputes involving corporate/partnership dissolutions, franchise litigation, unfair competition, trade secret misappropriation and deceptive trade practices. She has also provided counsel to commercial property owners and individual homeowners in areas of land use, construction and/or lease disputes, boundary and title issues, easements, real estate fraud and homeowner’s association disputes.
Ms. Fortune has served a s judge and commentator at trial advocacy seminars hosted by the Association of Business Trial Lawyers and works to educate civil litigators in the use of technology before and during trial as a practical way to improve presentation effectiveness and reduce costs. Her mastery of trial technology stands out to such an extent that San Diego Superior Court Judge Timothy Taylor wrote the following in awarding her fees at the successful conclusion of trial – “although [Ms. Fortune’s] time practicing law in San Diego is relatively brief [less than eight years at the time of Judge Taylor’s ruling]…rarely has the court encountered an attorney with her focus and effectiveness, particularly in the use of trial presentation technology…By the court’s own observation, her methods clearly enhanced the jury’s ability to grasp the details of a complex real estate and business transaction.”
- California Bar, 2004
- Federal Bar, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, 2008
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 2006
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law, J.D.,cum laude
- Eckerd College, B.A., Forensic Psychology
- University of Florida, A.A.
Areas of Practice:
Professional and Civic Engagement:
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Board of Governors, Association of Business Trial Lawyers; 2016-2017 Co-Chair Community Outreach Committee, 2015 Co-Chair Annual Seminar: "Countdown: The Digital World Confronts an Analog Profession"
- Barrister, Louis M. Welsh Inns of Court
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers Annual Seminar Panelist: "Does Your Technology Meet the Jury's Expectations? Trying the Social Media Case with Cutting Edge Technology" 2012
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers Nuts & Bolts Seminar: "Demystifying Trial Technology: A Lawyer's Effective Use of Trial Presentation Software at Trial" 2014
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers Dinner Program Panelist: "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better: TrialPad v. Trial Director v. Butcher Paper" April, 2017