Benjamin S. Reccius is an Associate Attorney with the Los Angeles Business Real Estate Group and is well-versed in various aspects of real estate and landlord/tenant law. Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mr. Reccius has an intimate knowledge of local rent control laws and unlawful detainer court rules and procedures.
Before joining KTS, Mr. Reccius operated his own practice, and represented both landlords and tenants in various matters, including unlawful detainer, ADA defense, property line disputes, and tenant lawsuits for landlord harassment, habitability, nuisance, and constructive eviction. His other practice areas included criminal law, cannabis business and licensing, corporate law (entity formation and transfers of ownership), purchase and sale agreements, escrow, contracts, and working as a court-appointed mediator for unlawful detainer and civil harassment matters at the Los Angeles County Superior Court.
During law school, Mr. Reccius clerked with the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles and assisted with complex tenants’ rights litigation as part of its Housing/Impact Litigation Unit. He was also a law clerk at the Los Angeles County Public Defender, where he successfully petitioned to resentence clients under Proposition 36 and drafted motions for serious felony cases including gross vehicular manslaughter and first-degree murder.
Mr. Reccius earned a Bachelor of Arts in Biological Psychology from the University of California, Berkeley. He obtained his Juris Doctor, Straus Institute Certificate in Dispute Resolution, and Certificate in Criminal Law Practice from Pepperdine University School of Law in Malibu.
- Pepperdine University School of Law, J.D.
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Certificate in Criminal Legal Practice
- Straus Institute (Pepperdine), Dispute Resolution Certificate
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A. Biological Psychology
Areas of Practice:
- ADA Defense
- Administrative Hearing Representation (City and County)
- Breach of Lease Actions
- Entity Formation
- Habitability Defense
- Landlord/Tenant Commercial
- Landlord/Tenant Residential
- Lease Negotiations (Commercial)
- New Legislation Analysis
- Property Disputes/Easements
- Purchase/Sale Transactions
- Real Estate and Business Litigation
- Real Estate and Business Transactions
- Rent Control
- Risk Management and Compliance
- Subsidized Housing
Professional and Civic Engagement:
- Former Law Clerk, Public Defender of Los Angeles County
- Former Mediator, Los Angeles Superior Court
- Former Law Clerk, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles