Monica Deka is an attorney in the Concord office. Monica has more than eleven years of experience representing clients in real estate and business transactions and litigation. Her experience includes representing property owners, managers and developers in connection with purchases and sales, commercial and residential leasing, due diligence and transactional risk assessment of multi-family buildings, and real estate related administrative proceedings. Monica also has represented commercial and residential property owners, landlords and managers in all manner of lawsuits involving real estate, including commercial lease and sale disputes, residential and commercial landlord/tenant disputes, co-ownership disputes, and various real estate administrative proceedings.
Additionally, Monica advises and counsels businesses in areas of entity formation, operation, governance, dissolution, corporate governance, and the purchase and/or sale of ongoing business operations. She also has experience representing business clients in resolving a wide range of disputes involving the management and ownership of closely held corporations and partnerships, breach of fiduciary duties, breach of contract, and unfair business practices.
Monica obtained a Master’s Degree in Real Estate Development in 2015 where she gained a deeper understanding of all aspects of the development process, including investment analysis, entitlements, financing, construction, and property management.
For the first eight years of practice after graduating from law school, Monica was an associate at a small New York City law firm that specialized in real estate litigation and transactions. Prior to joining KTS, Monica was an associate at M. C Hall & Associates, P.C., which represented property owners and landlords in landlord/tenant disputes and real estate transactions.
Monica has been admitted practice in the State of New York since 2006 and in the State of California since 2015. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from Moravian College in 2002, her law degree from St. John’s University School of Law in 2005, and her Masters of Science in Real Estate Development degree from New York University’s Schack Institute of Real Estate in 2015.
- California Bar, 2015
- New York Bar, 2006
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D.
- New York University, Schack Institute of Real Estate, M.S., Real Estate Development
- Moravian College, B.S., Biology
Areas of Practice:
- Administrative Hearing Representation (City and County)
- Breach of Lease Actions
- Entity Formation
- Habitability Defense
- Landlord/Tenant Commercial
- Landlord/Tenant Residential
- Landlord/Tenant Training (Commercial)
- Landlord/Tenant Training (Residential)
- Lease and Document Production and Reviews (Commercial)
- Lease and Document Production and Reviews (Residential)
- Lease Negotiations (Commercial)
- Property Disputes/Easements
- Purchase/Sale Transactions
- Quiet Title Actions
- Real Estate and Business Litigation
- Rent Control
- Subsidized Housing
Professional and Civic Engagement:
- Former Associate Managing Editor, American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review