Rebecca Fortune is a Partner in Kimball, Tirey & St. John LLP’s Business Real Estate Group. An experienced trial attorney, Rebecca has successfully represented individuals and businesses in federal and state courts in California and Colorado. Rebecca’s devoted her practice to general civil litigation with an emphasis in real estate, business and probate litigation. Representative matters include disputes arising out of business contracts, corporate/partnership dissolution, franchise litigation, non-disclosure in real estate transactions, commercial lease disputes, boundary and title issues, easements, and homeowners association law (residential and commercial).
Rebecca’s strong record of favorable outcomes is derivative of her efficient and effective use of technology during discovery and trial, as well as her superior focus in all aspects of the litigation process. She has served as judge and commentator at trial advocacy seminars hosted by the Association of Business Trial Lawyers and works to educate civil litigators in the use of technology before and during trial as a practical way to reduce costs and improve presentation effectiveness. Her mastery of technology at trial stands out to such an extent that San Diego Superior Court Judge Timothy Taylor wrote the following in awarding her fees at the successful conclusion of trial, “rarely has the court encountered an attorney with her focus and effectiveness, particularly in the use of trial presentation technology…By the court’s own observation, her methods clearly enhanced the jury’s ability to grasp the details of a complex real estate and business transaction.” (See 1050 B Street, LLC v. Affirmed Housing Group, San Diego Superior Court Case No. 37-2010-00102305-CU-BC-CTL).
Given her solid reputation with judges and attorneys in the San Diego legal community, for the past six years, Rebecca has been a member of the Board of Governors and is the immediate past-president of the Association of Business Trial Lawyer’s San Diego chapter.
- California Bar, 2004
- Federal Bar, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, 2008
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 2006
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Eckerd College, B.A., Forensic Psychology
- University of Florida, A.A.
Areas of Practice:
Professional and Civic Engagement:
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Past President, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, 2021; Board of Governors, 2016-2017; Co-Chair Community Outreach Committee, 2015; Co-Chair Annual Seminar: "Countdown: The Digital World Confronts an Analog Profession"
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers Annual Seminar Panelist: "Does Your Technology Meet the Jury's Expectations? Trying the Social Media Case with Cutting Edge Technology" 2012
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers Nuts & Bolts Seminar: "Demystifying Trial Technology: A Lawyer's Effective Use of Trial Presentation Software at Trial" 2014
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers Dinner Program Panelist: "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better: TrialPad v. Trial Director v. Butcher Paper" 2017
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers Annual Seminar Panelist: "The Transforming Business of Business Litigation" 2019