About the Firm
Kimball, Tirey & St. John LLP is a full-service real estate law firm representing residential and commercial property owners and managers. The firm provides exceptional legal representation in a wide range of business and real estate matters. As a California law firm, we consistently deliver professional legal solutions to help clients achieve their business objectives.
About the Position
Our firm is currently seeking a qualified, experienced law firm leader to head the Finance/Accounting function as its first Director of Accounting. The Director of Accounting position is a strategically important senior leadership role responsible for developing and delivering the firm’s finance and accounting operations and reporting strategies. This position reports to the firm’s COO.
The successful candidate will have a proven record of identifying, selling, advancing, and leveraging finance/accounting investments and resources that support lawyers’ practices and client relationships. The Director of Accounting, who will be based in our San Diego office, will provide strong, practical strategic financial direction and leadership to the firm’s practitioners and staff. This leader will continue to drive our financial systems evolution, reduce risk via balanced compliance and risk mitigation, support maturation of finance service delivery, ensure retention of our strong finance talent pool, support the highly responsive culture of the organization, and provide exemplary client services to the varied constituencies within the firm. The Director of Accounting is expected to work closely with the firm’s COO, our lawyers, and the administrative leadership team to create and implement a budget that will reflect the Firm’s strategic goals.
Overall education, experience and performance requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting. MBA and/or CPA a plus.
- Ten-plus years of progressive leadership with broad-based Accounting/Finance experience and management in a legal setting.
- Direct supervisory experience of Accounting, Finance and FP & A teams. Strong team-building skills required.
- Proven organizational and financial leadership, problem-solving and communications skills, coupled with the ability to excel and achieve results in a fluid and fast-moving environment.
- Experience managing daily financial operations and strategic projects in a large, multi-city, multi-office law firm.
- A strong client service philosophy to provide technology and support services in a highly responsive environment.
- Ability to establish priorities consistent with the Firm’s expectations and to communicate goals and expectations to both system users and management.
- Possess impeccable ethics and a familiarity in dealing with highly sensitive data.
- Competent and comfortable with seeking opportunities to influence those outside of direct responsibilities.
- Proactive with forming and maintaining strategic, third-party relationships for key initiatives.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization. Ability to explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience and provide guidance in making good financial decisions. Experience working with clients possessing a wide range of technical expertise.
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner.
- Strong decision-making, follow-up, follow-through, priority setting and attention to detail skills. Demonstrated ability to practice good judgment.
- Ability to work independently, with minimum supervision
- Travel when necessary.
- Competitive compensation
- Mutually agreed relocation assistance
- Kimball, Tirey & St. John offers a robust and competitive suite of benefits for our business operations leadership team including paid time off, a 401(k)-plan paid holidays, affordable Health and Life Insurance including Dental & Vision coverage, AD&D, LTD, and income replacement insurance policies.
We are fully committed to the importance of diversity within the legal profession, as well as all workplace environments and strongly encourage the interest of diverse candidates in the firm. Equal Opportunity Employer.