Our statewide law firm is seeking a part-time Jury Document Assistant for our Los Angeles office. If chosen as the successful candidate, you will be responsible for assisting attorneys in the production and preparation of jury-related documents and files in the trial phase of the unlawful detainer process.
With over 40 years in the California legal industry and five offices statewide, our firm was founded on a commitment to customer service that has flourished within our culture of inclusion and diversity. We believe in working hard for our clients each day and in taking care of our employees so they are empowered to do their very best work. It is our mission to provide the highest quality, cost-effective legal services to our clients.
As a Jury Document Assistant, you will:
- Draft and e-file pre-trial documents and motions; ensure all pre-trial documents are drafted, filed, and placed in the trial file
- Produce trial binders for attorneys
- Obtain certified copies of documents needed for trial exhibits
- Prepare witness subpoenas; arrange for service on witnesses and defendants
- Maintain communication with clients, including sending answers, trial-related updates, and copies of pre-trial documents, witness lists, and exhibits
- Follow up with the court to ensure processing of trial requests
- Process post-trial writs
- Provide any needed support for jury trials or long bench trials where additional file organization is needed
Position is part-time; 20 hours/week. Schedule is open to discussion but must be during business hours of 8:30am-5:30pm Monday-Thursday, 8:30am-5:00pm Friday.
This position is temporarily approved to be performed remotely in accordance with our COVID-19 remote work policy. It is expected that the successful candidate will eventually perform the position exclusively from the office.
We are looking for candidates with the following qualifications:
- Knowledge of California litigation process and courts
- Previous administrative office experience
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- High attention to detail with an ability to multi-task
- Versatile computer skills
The following qualifications are preferred:
- Experience preparing jury trial documents, including jury instructions, exhibit lists, witness lists, and trial binders
- Formal legal training (legal secretarial courses, paralegal certificate, or coursework in legal administration)
- Experience with ProLaw and Hot-Docs
- E-filing experience, particularly with First Legal
- Knowledge of local county court rules and procedures
Candidates must have their own equipment necessary to work remotely, including a personal computer or laptop and a reliable internet connection. We offer reimbursement for internet and cell phone usage for business purposes.
WHY WORK FOR US?
Our firm offers a rewarding work environment that values a work-life balance and fosters a culture of professional growth and opportunities. We provide a comprehensive compensation package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k), paid vacation, and sick time.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Salary requirements
Candidates who meet the criteria for the position will be contacted for the next step in the hiring process. Interviews are currently being conducted by phone or video with possible in-person interviews for finalist candidates.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that values diversity in our workplace and will consider all applicants in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Initiative.
HEALTH AND SAFETY:
We are committed to ensuring a safe and healthy workplace for our employees and visitors alike. Our internal safety measures include alternating schedules, socially-distanced office spaces, daily temperature checks, plexiglass shields, and frequent sanitization. Employees, clients, and visitors are required to wear face coverings inside the office at all times.