About the Firm
Kimball, Tirey & St. John LLP is a full-service real estate law firm representing residential and commercial property owners and managers. The firm provides exceptional legal representation in a wide range of business and real estate matters. As a California law firm, we consistently deliver professional legal solutions to help clients achieve their business objectives.
About the Position
Our firm is currently seeking a qualified, experienced law firm leader to head the IT function as its first Chief Technology Officer (CTO). The CTO position is a strategically important senior leadership position responsible for developing and delivering the firm’s information technology and technology risk management strategies. This position reports to the firm’s COO.
The successful candidate will have a proven record of identifying, selling, advancing, and leveraging technology investments and resources that support lawyers’ practices and client relationships. The CTO, who will be based in our San Diego office will provide strong, practical strategic technology direction and leadership to the firm’s practitioners and staff. This leader will continue to drive our cloud evolution, reduce risk via balanced compliance and risk mitigation, support maturation of IT service delivery, ensure retention of our strong IT talent pool, support the highly responsive culture of the organization, and provide exemplary client services to the varied constituencies within the firm. The CTO is expected to work closely with the firm’s COO, our lawyers, the administrative leadership team, and the IT organization to plan and execute on an annually agreed and budgeted technology program.
Overall education, experience and performance requirements include:
- BA or BS degree. Master’s Degree related to technology or MBA a plus.
- 15+ years of progressive IT leadership and broad-based information technology experience and management, preferably in a legal setting.
- Technology or business consulting experience and/or former business ownership, considered a strong plus.
- A proven ability to identify and prioritize substantive legal practice and client-driven business needs, working with the COO, peers, lawyers, and staff. Further, the ability to communicate needs, plans, goals and expectations to clients, lawyers, staff, and management is essential.
- Knowledge of current technology trends along with an awareness of emerging, relevant, and applicable technologies to support the firm’s evolution.
- Demonstrated expertise in industry standard and current legal software applications, solutions, support, education, risk management, vendor management and systems. In addition to law firm software products, experience with litigation support technologies and applications is considered a plus.
- Proven organizational and IT leadership, problem solving, and communications skills, coupled with the ability to excel and achieve results in a fluid and fast-moving environment.
- Sustained and direct supervisory experience leading technology teams comprised of at least seven (7) IT professionals. Strong team management and mentoring skills are required.
- Demonstrated success continually providing and supporting high performance, high availability, and flexible computing/automation environments to meet user needs.
- Successful application of program and project management processes and methods to deliver daily technology operations and strategic technology projects in a dynamic, multi-city, multi-office law firm.
- A strong client service philosophy to provide technology and support services in a highly responsive environment.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization. Ability to explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience and provide guidance by balancing functionality, risk and return on investment when providing recommendations.
- Possess impeccable ethics and a familiarity dealing with highly sensitive data.
- Open-minded, team-oriented, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel where and when required.
- Competitive compensation
- Mutually agreed relocation assistance
- Kimball, Tirey & St. John offers a robust and competitive suite of benefits for our business operations leadership team, including paid time off, a 401(k)-plan paid holidays, affordable Health and Life Insurance including Dental & Vision coverage, AD&D, LTD, LTC and income replacement insurance policies.
The salary range for this position begins at $200,000, depending on experience.
We are fully committed to the importance of diversity within the legal profession, as well as all workplace environments and strongly encourage the interest of diverse candidates in the firm.
Equal Opportunity Employer.